Home
It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 16:09

My KLXster conversion 

Post My KLXster conversion
Well, I completed my son's KLX conversion to Pitster Pro X4 suspension recently and wanted to show you some pics. The conversion was pretty simple with the help of Matt at Pitster Pro. Matt was kind enough to make me the rear upper shock mount and the brake caliper bracket and was even took the time to paint them for me to match the KLX's silver frame. Matt also pretty much walked me through the converson so I want to give a special thanks to him and the other guys at Pitster.
I tackled the fork conversion first, as that is what I had the most concerns about. It turned out to be extremely easy. I just removed the KLX forks, tripple clamps and tapped out the races from the frame. Then I just installed the races that Pitster sold me for the conversion, greased the bearings, and bolted the Pitster X4 tripple clamps and forks on.

07 Aug 2010, 10:50
Profile Send private message

Post Re: My KLXster conversion
Next up was the rear suspension. First I installed the upper shock mount. It bolts on using the OEM shock's top bolt and the engine mount. The Pitster X4 swingarm and shock then bolt right on.

07 Aug 2010, 10:53

The CDI box had to be slid upward slightly to clear the Pitster X4 shock. I used a couple zip ties to hold it up in it's rubber mount for the needed clearance.

07 Aug 2010, 10:54

I then drilled the frame for the rear master cylinder mount and bolted it to the frame. The mount is a simple design and uses the OEM KLX's rear brake pedal to activate the master cylinder. Matt supplied me with a new clevis and rod to work with the KLX brake pedal and the Pitster X4 master cylinder.

07 Aug 2010, 10:56

Then I installed the chain from Pitster X4, after removing two links from it and tighened up all the bolts. Here are some pics after bolting everything back together. This is my son's bike and we had already turned it into a replica of Ryan Dungey's 2009 RMZ250. Once again thanks to Matt and everyone else at Pitster!

07 Aug 2010, 10:58